I’m delighted to announce a new journey for 2023. This one is all about Greece. New and existing friends are all welcome.
We’ll start in Athens, with a few day to discover this fabulous ancient city. Then we’ll travel in our own little mini-van, across the plains of Attica to the sacred site of Delphi. This was where the prophetess ‘The Oracle of Delphi’ lived. Here on the slopes of Mount Parnassus we’ll see the site of the very first Olympic Games. It’s an amazing archaeological site on a hillside, a place of great importance to the Ancient Greeks. From Delphi we’ll head to the coast and the seaside town of Volos. Here we take a ferry to Skopelos, a typical Greek island for a day or two of rest and relaxation. It was here on Skopelos and nearby Skiathos that ‘Mamma Mia’ the movie was filmed.
Next we take the ferry back to the mainland and drive north through Greece to Thessalonika. On the way we’ll see Mount Olympus, home of the gods and goddesses of Ancient Greece. Thessalonika is a university and port town with a fabulous waterfront promenade. The city is famous for a huge array of early Christian and Byzantine churches, which contain exceptional mosaics and frescoes dating from the 4th century. The city has fifteen UNESCO World Heritage buildings to visit.
There’s loads of opportunity to try typical Greek cuisine. Breakfast is included daily. Lunches will be picnics or very casual salad and soup affairs at local tavernas. Then most evenings we’ll eat together as a group in a typical local hostelry.
Greece – discovering the legends from Athens to Thessalonika – May or June, 2023
Greece – In Search of legends – Outline itinerary
- Starting in Athens (3 nts) staying in a charming town house hotel.
- Then across the Plains of Attica to Delphi, to visit ‘The Oracle of Delphi’ and Mount Parnassus – just amazing
- Arachova (2 nts) for Delphi and Mt Parnassus – staying in a rustic stone house with comfortable rooms
- Then north again to Volos – cute little seaside town and on to Skopelos – Greek island (2 nts)
- Mount Olympus – see the mythical ‘Home of the Gods’ usually snow-capped.
- Explore a Crusaders Castle
- Then on to Thessalonika (2 nts) for a few days in this wonderful university city – bohemian, quirky, fun
- Explore the water front and visit the nearby town of Drama – where the word comes from….
- Enjoy a Greek lesson too.
- Warmth, hospitality, fun and learning…….
- Small group – 6-8 guests
- Total length of trip: 10 days (9 nts)
- Simple accommodations (9 nights) good quality and clean, simple, guest house style
- Breakfast daily – typically a buffet in the hotel
- 4 x lunches included – salad and soup / cheese plate / picnic type affair w/ water/soft drink
- 5 x dinners included – 3-course with a glass or two of wine.
- Expert guide to lead sight-seeing and explain the history of Greece
- Local guides in Athens, Delphi and Thessalonika
- Transportation in mini-van and some ferries too all included.
- Euros € 4500 per person in double room for single use.
- Euros € 3900 per person sharing a twin room (with one other person)
We can offer this journey on the following dates:
- 18-27 May, 2023
- 18-27 June, 2023
When we arrive on the island of Skopelos it is possible to extend your stay by a night or two, and then travel up to Thessalonika a day or two later. Don’t hesitate to ask for more details. The Greek islands are so exquisitely beautiful and peaceful that you may well want to stay for ever.
Note: Air fare is not included. Guests should plan to fly into Athens and out of Thessalonika. Lufthansa has numerous flights from Thessalonika to Frankfurt and Munich with onward connections to the US.
The blue and white of the Greek flag is reflected in the sky, the sea and even the crockery of Greece
Link to fabulous photos of things you’ll see!!! To get you in the mood….
Your guide Janet Simmonds writes regularly about travel, Italy, The Alps and Greece – here are some links:
- Greece – Oracle of Delphi
- Santorini to Thessalonika – A Tour of Greece from vine to wine
- Hidden corners of Athens
- The island of Santorini weaves her magical spell……
- Contact: email@example.com to book your place on this incredible trip
The magic of Greece and the Greek islands extends from the Cyclades to the northern shores around Thessalonika
24th January, 2023