Travel with a small group to Southern Italy in October 2017. Discover a land of natural beauty, warm hospitality and fabulous food and wine. Explore the regions of Campania, Basilicata and Puglia.
Dates of tour: 15-25 October, 2017
Visit the vast Greek temples of Paestum, which are roughly comtemporary with the Parthenon in Athens. Truly spectacular and brilliantly preserved. Proceed to the ancient cave-city of Matera (a UNESCO world heritage site). Here people lived in caves, in the hillside, until the 1960s. There is no better way to experience Southern Italy – with thousands of years of history and a remote and rugged past. Discover Eboli where the writer Carlo Levi was exiled in the 1930s and wrote the famous book ‘Christ Stopped at Eboli’.
Visit Salerno with its historic town centre and fascinating botanical garden, one of Europe’s oldest. Did you know that in the 12th century the Medical School in Salerno was one of the finest in the Mediterranean. Medical doctors from the Middle East, Greece and Italy all worked together to extend the frontiers of knowledge. For fresh air enthusiasts enjoy a hike along the Amalfi coast. The variety of scenery, vegetation and views is truly impressive. To top it all off, enjoy some wine and olive oil tasting in the fairy-tale town of Alberobello, whilst sitting inside one of the unique trulli houses that make this part of Italy so famous.
You’ll be amazed by the quality of food and wine being produced in this part of Italy. We’ll sample mozzarella cheese, the finest in the world, produced from the milk of buffalo herds, reared in and around Campania.We’ll also sample good quality red wines at Paestum and in Alberobello, including the famous ‘primitivo’ red wines.
Grand Tourist would like to propose a journey to Southern Italy
11 days (10 nights) as follows:
- Naples, Campania – 1 night
- Matera, Basilicata – 4 nights
- Paestum, Campania – 2 nights
- Amalfi, Campania – 3 nights
- Hotels are all clean and comfortable, all independent and family-run.
- Tour of Salerno, including one of Europe’s oldest botanical gardens
- Visit the spectacular Greek temples at Paestum.
- Mozzarella and wine tasting in the Paestum area.
- See the Sassi di Matera (UNESCO world heritage site)
- Day trip to Alberobello, famous for its unique trulli architecture
- Food and wine tasting of Puglia in Alberobello
- Explore Amalfi Coastline – including hike/walk in the hills
- Boat trip along the coast of Campania
- Transportation throughout in comfortable Mercedes Viano
- Breakfast is included every day.
- Dinner included on four evenings with dishes from Southern Italy
- Walking Tour of Matera and the sassi (cave dwellings)
- Janet Simmonds – Tour guide to accompany the group & assist with all logistics
Prices – per person in a double room for single occupancy:
- GBP £ 2750 pp
- US $ 3995 pp
- There is no single room supplement.
- Please note – Flights are not included.
- All breakfasts and 4 x dinners included.
The style of the trip:
- This trip is designed for guests who like to travel with an enquiring mind.
- It is about off-the-beaten track visits and meeting the local people.
- The itinerary is deliberately very flexible – so that we can accommodate really fascinating visits and give them more time.
- No rushing from A to B.
Your guide: Janet Simmonds – I’ve been running unique and exceptional tours in Europe since the 1980s. I trained originally in Venice where I worked as a tour guide. Later I studied Geography at Oxford University. I am passionate about landscape, people, history and culture. I love introducing guests to the history, architecture, art and literature of a region. Ten years ago I went back to university and studied for a Master’s in History of Art – specialising in classical art and the Grand Tour of the 18th century. I offer unique, tailor-made travel experiences to an international clientele. I also write a blog about my travels. I divide my time between England, France, The Alps and Italy. I am a wife and mother with four grown up children. I speak French and Italian.
Do please check out my other articles here on www.educated-traveller.com for numerous ‘Italian stories’…………….
For further information contact Janet at Grand Tourist: firstname.lastname@example.org
For more background on Southern Italy – check out the following articles that have appeared on our ‘Educated Traveller’ blog:
- The Trulli of Alberobello
- Matera and Basilicata
- Benvenuti al Sud (in praise of Southern Italy)
- The Medical Garden at Salerno
All articles written by Janet Simmonds, company director & expert tour guide.
BOOKING AND MAKING PAYMENTS:
If you’d like to book:
- Please phone or e-mail me to discuss your exact requirements.
- Phone: +44 (0) 7590 990 160
- We will then take a deposit of 50% of the trip cost.
- The balance payment is due by 1st September, 2017
- You can pay by bank transfer direct into our UK bank account.
- We accept credit cards – 3.5% admin. charge when paying by c.c. from the USA.
- You can pay by debit card (no administration fee)
- We also accept Pay Pal payments
- Bank Details available on request
- Amalfi Coast add-ons – easily available.
This is a unique and very special trip – I shall be taking a maximum of 8 guests. Don’t hesitate to give me a call to discuss the trip further. For the right people this is a truly unique experience. I’ll look forward to hearing from you,
Map of route, starting and finishing in Naples
- Prepared and written: 24-03-2017
- Updated: 12-07-2017